Friday, December 6, 2013

#SOML

Last night, for the first time since the late 50's, NBC broadcast a performance of The Sound of Music Live. Carrie Underwood was starring as Maria.  In my opinion, IT WAS GLORIOUS. Finally something on network television that isn't a cartoon! Don't get me wrong, I will forever love A Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and A Wish For Wings That Work <----- A CLASSIC. (If you have not seen this one, you're seriously missing out.) 

But, finally, it was like watching a cultural television event. Ok, ok, Carrie Underwood is a country singer from Oklahoma. And the actor who played Captain Von Trapp is on HBO's True Blood (which is a show about Vampires).  But they were wonderful. If you can get past the slightest of southern accents and just appreciate it for what it was, it was breathtaking. It looked like millions of people were watching it along with us, because my Twitter feed was blowing up with the hash-tag #SOML. 

The entire performance was live. It was like watching a real musical, only on TV! You could sing every word to every song and remember the lines of some of the ones you'd forgotten over the years. 

Even my sister made her kids sit down with her and watch it. It can be tough for a 9 year old and a 3 year old to appreciate a musical. We were texting back and forth through it and she told me that although it started a little slow (as most musicals do), once the Von Trapp children came on screen, they became more into it. 

Duchess and I normally head over to our neighbor's house (and friend) to watch Grey's Anatomy on Thursday nights.  She and her husband are also the god-send, that watch my daughter while I'm at work. While picking up Duchess yesterday, I asked her if she was going to be watching .... and I assumed she thought I was going to say Grey's but instead she finished my sentence with "THE SOUND OF MUSIC?!" It was hilarious! I brought hot chocolate fixings and we made a night out of it.

Its my understanding that NBC is hoping that this production will become a holiday staple and run every year as many holiday staples do, for years and years to come (Frosty, Charlie, Rudolph, A Christmas Story, Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation).  I hope it does. I want to have this tradition with my daughter, sing those songs, and drink hot chocolate. 

Golf-clap to NBC. Well done!




No comments:

Post a Comment