Monday, December 2, 2013

Manners and Common Decency

OK. I may not be the most polite of women sometimes. I may not always mind my P's & Q's. I may curse like a sailor on occasion. But, I have never been so utterly annoyed with the common decency of most people in my whole life, as I was while trying to get home from the airport the other night.

Duchess blowing bubbles at people at the Airport 

Me and Duchess were traveling on our own home from my Sister's this past weekend. Our flight was cancelled and we had to be re-routed on another airline to Detroit.  I was actually not upset by this. No harm, no foul. It couldn't get me down - I just had a great weekend with my family and it was a straight-shot flight. We will hunker down here, eat some kick-ass BBQ Chicken Nachos at Jim n' Nicks (YESSSS!) and wait out our next flight.  Everything went swimmingly. Duchess was a perfect angel. People stopped us on the way off the plane to tell us how perfect she was. I thought, "Wow, some people are really nice!"


Hold that thought.



Upon leaving to find my parked car, I realize that we are in a completely different area of the airport. No where near where my car is parked.



So after wandering around the wrong parking deck for over 20 minutes, I asked a guy who worked there and he told me we needed to find our way back up the elevator, and out to the street and wait for a Shuttle to take us back to the other Terminal. As we waited in the cold for about 25 more minutes, many more people arrived to take the Shuttle as well.



When the Shuttle finally showed up, everyone pushed passed me to get on first. Not one offer to help get on the bus or help with the stroller or our luggage, nothing. One guy even jumped right in front of me while I was waiting my turn in line to get on. Like, literally, walked right in front of my stroller to hurry up and get on first. As spoken by Stephanie Tanner of Full House: "HOW RUDE!!" (I mean, its not like we weren't ALL ready to get home. Especially, the woman with an infant who was standing in the freezing cold for the last 25 mins. But sure, please, hurry up and get on. We wouldn't want to hold you up, Dude.)  



We finally got home around 11:00 p.m. 



I may not be the kindest, most helpful person on occasion, but I was raised better than to watch someone struggle and not even offer to help them get on a bus! I hold doors for people every time I come in or out of one.  I say please and thank-you. I always tip well.  It is even still ingrained in me to reply with "yes ma'am" or "no sir" from my formative years living in the South.  



I intend to teach my daughter better manners than that.  

It is true what they say: people are way nicer down south...




No comments:

Post a Comment