Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Musically Inclined


I have always had a passion for music. My sister, brother and I were started young reciting music trivia in the car to 104.7 WIOT (a CLASSIC, classic rock station).  We have young parents. I love Led Zeppelin, GNR, and Queen. I could sing the words to nearly every classic rock song that comes on the radio.  My first concert was Seven Mary Three at the timeless (and now extinct) Party in the Park, Downtown Toledo when I was 12.  Mister Big's Just to Be With You stands out as one all four of us used to belt out while driving to the Helminski's to go out tubing on the Maumee River.  Classic rock, a boat, and the river just go together. That was my childhood. 

Ah, the 90's. Grunge and stoner-hippy-esque jam bands. I will always love Pearl Jam and Nirvana. My era. A bucket list item of mine is to see Dave Matthews Band with my Sister and my Mom, outside somewhere in the Summertime. 

Thanks to my Mom, her awesome taste in music (80's hair bands were her era) and her stay-young attitude have stuck with me (with all three of us).  My brother started a band with some of his best buddies back when he was in high school.  They played lots of shows and had a great following. He's now moving off to Nashville, the Music City, to try his hand at bar ownership.  


My sister and I are not living in The Music City or doing anything musically related, but it shows out in who we are as people. We were brought up to be strong and have fun first and not take shit from people. We never turn down the opportunity to go to a concert really of any kind.  
I was thinking today, how lucky I am to have been given the best gift - siblings. I cannot think what my life would be like without them. They are truly, my best friends.  We have the same dumb sense of humor. The same no-bullshit way of dealing with people. And a love of music (and sports) that is not comparable to anything I have ever known in anyone else.  

So, thanks Mom. Really, thank-you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment