Monday, October 28, 2013

C'mon Man!

I LOVE FOOTBALL. 
(I also LOVE baseball - baseball IS my first love...) 

I guess I just love sports in general. I will watch whatever Golf Tournament is on TV and catch the day's highlights - especially if Tiger's playing. Regardless of his antics, he brings something to that sport that no one else brings. Competition.  I can watch the last 40 laps of a NASCAR race and undoubtedly route for Dale Jr. (I don't care what y'all think).  I bought a specific type of cable TV brand so that I could watch every single Detroit Tiger's game (162 + post-season).

But football, football brings a certain Sunday flair. (Or Saturday. Or Monday. And now Thursday nights too, if you have NFL network).  It means Fall, and chili, and comfy hoodies and jeans. Its the Lions and Packers on Thanksgiving, I love Thanksgiving. 

I desperately wanted a boy at first because I wanted Football Fridays (in high school) and Maumee Little League baseball games at Ford Field. I thought that because of my tom-boyish nature that I wouldn't know how to raise a little girl. 

I was watching CBS News this morning.  They did a piece on the lack of women's rights in Saudi Arabia and portrayed how women are punished, beaten and jailed for just wanting the right to drive a vehicle.  They interviewed a man who when asked how he felt about women having the right to drive, replied "I think its unnecessary! What would they do if they got a flat tire?!"

I was blown away. Is the world still FLAT? It made me terribly sad that I have a little girl who is still going to grow up in a World where in this day and age, there are still men who think women cant figure out how to change a tire (OR at least call a tow company to come change it)! Or think for themselves. Or make the same amount of money as they do - or in Saudi Arabia, even be allowed to have a job or an education at all!



So, now that I have a little girl, I hope she gets to have a little sister.  And I hope they play sports with the boys. And get dirty. And drive cars. And watch football. And drink beer, someday if they want to. If they want to be ballerinas or cheerleaders or football kickers - DO IT.


This goes for my girl(s) and my niece(s) and all little girls. I hope you try things. Be daring. Be strong. You are capable. 




"Scout" the Slugger


(Duchess, I will support you, no matter what.)


No comments:

Post a Comment