Monday, October 21, 2013

Baby Gibberish

The Duchess is now nearly 4 months old.  And over the last several maybe 4-5 days, she has been just talking away. Baby gibberish has to be the cutest damn thing I have ever heard. I am convinced that if I could understand her, she would have the answer to this whole mess with Congress.  She is also tracing me as I walk by her, she smiles incessantly and I don't think I have ever in my life seen a more beautiful toothless person.  
Go Tigers!
Recently, a very close friend of mine lost his father suddenly.  The family is a Maumee staple and their father even coached my softball team one year.  Another year, his middle daughter who, I graduated High School with (and a very good friend of mine to this day) tried to throw me out at third base leaving a very nice scar after eight stitches.  He was a truck driver for UPS, a member of the union and married to his wife for 36 years. There were hundreds of people at the showing. 

 Duchess and I stopped up to give my friend, his mother, and sisters, a big hug.  What do you say to people you've known most of your life, when something like this happens? The same thing the hundreds of other people have told them for the last week -- "Your father was a great guy." My heart just aches for them.  

Summer 2007
My friend wanted to introduce Duchess to his mother, who hadn't yet met her.  I waited with my friend for a few minutes while she finished her conversation with some of the other attendees, then walked up to say hello and express how sorry I was.  Looking very tired and heartbroken, his mother noticed right away that this was my new addition and she perked up a bit.  And then it happened.  Duchess in all her glory, looked right at my friend's mother and smiled the biggest toothless grin and laughed at her. As if to say, "I came here to try to cheer you up!" I think his mom really appreciated it and he even shed a smile for a minute.  She made sure to tell me that this is the really fun part, and to make sure I enjoy it.  I don't know if its selfish to think this or not, but after leaving I felt a little bit better.  That maybe, just maybe for 30 seconds, my baby brought some joy to those poor people.  

Mrs. Wampler, I will do my very best to enjoy it. And I will think of you and your family often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment